What would you say is the most dangerous animal on Earth? Sharks? Snakes? Humans? If you’re judging by how many people are killed by an animal every year, then the answer isn’t any of the above. It’s mosquitoes. When it comes to killing humans, no other animal comes close. Take a look:
What makes mosquitoes so dangerous?
Mosquitoes can transmit devastating diseases. Their bites result in the deaths of up to 1 million people every year. The World Health Organization estimates that between 300 and 500 million cases of malaria occur each year — and a child dies from malaria every 30 seconds.
Other mosquito-borne diseases include Dengue Fever, West Nile Virus, Encephalitis. In recent times, Jamaica and neighbouring Caribbean regions have seen an epidemic of Chikungunya virus and Zika virus (first reported in Brazil and now cases in Dominica Republic).
Successful mosquito management requires knowledge of where and how they develop, as well as their appearance. All mosquitoes pass through four life stages: egg, larva, pupa and adult. The first three stages must have water for development. The number of days from egg to adult varies. Some mosquitoes can develop from egg to adult in less than a week, or development can be extended to several months, depending on species and temperature.
The adult males survive on nectar and similar foods while the females feed on blood. The males live only about a week, long enough to swarm and mate with the females. The females’ lifespan is longer, up to a month or two.
The three most prevalent mosquito species in Jamaica are:
- Aedes– These tend to breed in stagnant water. They include such species as Aedes aegypti- the Chik V and Zicka mosquito. They are characterized by white stripes and long legs. They are strong fliers, capable of travelling great distances fom their breeding sites. They persistently bite mammals (especially humans), mainly at dawn and in the early evening. Their bites are painful.
- Anopheles- These tend to breed in bodies of permanent fresh water. They include several species, such as the common malaria mosquito (Anopheles quadrimaculatus).
- Culex- These tend to breed in quiet, standing water. Culex mosquitoes have abdomens with blunt tips. They include several species such as the northern house mosquito (Culex pipiens). They are weak fliers and tend to live for only a few weeks during the summer months.
Kilopest Mosquito Control and Fogging Services
Kilopest Limited offers fogging services for mosquito reduction for indoors and outdoors – both commercial and residential customers.
Our Mosquito Control Plan offers a dual approach to reducing mosquito populations. The goal of our program is to reduce the number of mosquitoes on your property that may carry diseases such as Zika, Chikungunya, Dengue or Malaria and eliminate breeding sites, preventing development of larvae.
Our reduction and Control Plan is detailed and customized specific to your property/situation. For optimum protection we offer monthly treatments, 6-weekly treatments and 2-monthly plans dependent on the level of infestation and the need for treatment.
Kilopest Limited will remind you in advance of an upcoming service.
-Me and Mi’ Neighbours : Not all mosquitoes on your property originate there. Mosquitoes are capable of flying and creating new colonies. For effective mosquito control we recommend that adjoining properties are also treated. Kilopest Limited offers a 15% discount when treating adjoining neighbours.
-Special Event Service: Effective Mosquito Control for All Outdoor Events
Are you planning an outdoor party, graduation, wedding or special event? Don’t let mosquitoes ruin your day. Kilopest will treat area up to a week in advance and then once more prior to guests arriving. Our special events service keeps mosquitoes off your guests list.
- Eliminates or greatly reduces the number of mosquitoes that might otherwise bite guests or hover around food.
- Dries in 30 minutes, leaving no odor or visible residue.
- Is applied long before your food and dinnerware arrive, so there’s no opportunity for contamination.
- Provides protection day and night through your entire event.
Why choose Kilopest?
With more than 40 years of pest management experience, we have solidified ourselves as leaders in the pest management industry. Our highly trained staff uses an environmental friendly approach for treatment and are dedicated to offering a comprehensive range of services to our residential and commercial clients.
- Technicians will provide a detailed report on the level of infestation, threats and breeding sites, as well as prevention tips.
- All pesticides are environmentally friendly and approved by Pest Control Authority (PCA), Kilopest employs Integrated Pest Management Strategies and the judicious usage of chemicals.
- Technicians are PCA certified and knowledgeable of pest cycles and their interaction with the environment.
- Our treatment plans include follow up treatments
- Low Price Guarantee – our match it or beat it policy guarantees that you get the best value for your money. Should you get a quote for a lower cost for the same treatment we will BEAT IT!
Mosquitoes aren’t your only problem?
Kilopest Limited offers an array of different services. Our pest control services protect your property from mosquitoes and other common yard pests like ticks, fleas, and ants, as well as termites.
Click here to sign up for a free home inspection.